CMLTD Discord Server
When I think about the personal learning networks (PLN) I've created in the past, one particular PLN stood out. My friends and I created a server on Discord for our gaming friends. Therefore, I will draw a lot from the previous experience for the new PLN I'm proposing.
I came to graduate school hoping that I could not only learn from my cohort but also find lifelong friends. However, one thing I noticed after my first year at CMLTD is that there is not an informal space for people to gather as a community online. We have Slack groups, but the nature of Slack forces people to act more on a semi-formal level. For example, I met a friend on Slack because we wanted to be groupmates. However, we transitioned into WhatsApp after becoming friends. I think it's just a semi-formal environment that forces people to transition to another social media platform (I might be wrong, so people who read this post, please feel free to share your input on this). Most of the things shared on Slack channels in the CMLTD group also lean toward a professional level. For example, announcements for research lab meetings/gatherings or job postings. Don't get me wrong, these are great resources, but I wish there were also informal interactions where we have a space to get to know one another. When I mean "get to know one another," I mean an area where we can have casual chats with the people in our program, like getting to know someone's interests.
Therefore, I think the PLN I would create is a Discord server for our CMLTD people. Not everyone in the CMLTD program uses Discord, but its functionalities serve my interests. One great thing about Discord is that it's an informal platform. I think the environment can help people feel more comfortable having casual chats throughout the day.
People would join because they would be able to connect with our cohort on a personal level. For example, we could plan outings and other types of socials if needed. Unlike Slack, it would not seem "unprofessional" to suggest random hangouts or different social activities.
Some types of interactions that engage people include hopping onto voice channels and conversing with each other in an informal setting. There are also multiple channels that people can join on the server for different interests. For example, the server I created with my gaming friends included a channel for "fashion."
We sometimes share our shopping hauls with one another, and we sometimes share places where we can find great discounts. People who are not interested in fashion do not have to join that channel. These channels can help our cohort find people with similar interests. People can also send text-like messages and have conversations on these channels.
For the different types of users, I think there will be people who will be on other channels as readers and would not engage at all. However, some might be readers on one channel but contribute to another depending on their interests. Discord also allows people to become "moderators," so these people would be the leaders who create different channels based on interests. They would also ensure that everyone follows the server's rules and teaches new users how to navigate Discord.
I think the platform would grow as long as there are interactions within the server. So, for example, if people are finding friends and hosting meaningful events, they would probably invite other friends to join the server, which will keep the server alive.

I vote for the Discord! We definitely need one for our department. I think they have a facebook group but I only visited the group for one time because it's not very user-friendly. I really like Discord because it has a variety of functions that can satisfy different user needs such as synchronous voice call, screen sharing, and also asynchronous text chat. The different channels can also categorize different information so people can access them later when they need to find some information quickly. I participated a female-only gaming Discord channel, and we shared not only gaming experience but also talked about almost everything in our daily life. We can also watch other girls' gaming live if they want to stream their gaming. It brings me a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly, thank you for your sharing! I really agree with you on the fact that Discord is a semi-formal environment for people to communicate. This can provide two-side influence - people can let off their guards to share or people will not participate actively. As what you have mentioned at last, how to maintain active and positive interactions between users within the server is a critical problem.
ReplyDelete